What we liked:
– electric animals, normal animals as a status symbol —> how fast can humanity adapt?
– “slice of life feeling”
– dystopia feel, not about hard science, more about social changes
– hardboiled detective + police procedure –> mix cool
– Android & human interactions
– What makes a human? –> Mindgames great
– Who is an android, who is human? –> Messing with mind
– Empathy: fail
– Mood organ: fascinating –> Depression today
– Mercerism: new religion, empathy box based, reminds the people what it means to be human
– set on Earth –> those who were left behind
Things we discussed:
– Androids programmed to be male fantasies?
– We felt sorry for Decker’s wife
– Hard to relate to most characters
– Mercerism too weird? Too philosophical?
– Old-Fashined (Cold War Sentiments)
– Ending super weird –> sleep deprivation might explain it
– Pacing fascinating: book = 24 hours
– Spider scene: we were super upset about the spider –> made us realise how much a life (however little) is worth
– Goat weird. Androids incapable of empathy?
We also watched “Blade Runner”, some opinions:
– Incredibly important and influential movie
– Soundtrack great, aesthetics great
– Rape scene with R. and D. very hard to watch –> not okay when watching the movie now
– Oftentimes too exaggerated, hyperbolic
– Ending controversial: Unicorn = Decker = Android? Or just a warning?
– Soliloquy by Roy great, even though androids were a bit too weird:
“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.”
Thank you everyone for the great discussion!
What we liked: